Try out a practice test to become familiar with the online format and the types of questions on the new tests.
Before you get started:
Do you have the right tools?
The PARCC tests are administered online, although paper-and-pencil versions will be available for schools that are not yet ready for the computer-based version.
- Make sure you have the right device and browser. The tests work on many devices, but not all.
- Take the quick tutorial. Before you take one of the tests, see how to navigate through the test questions.
- Try out a paper practice test. Find the main page for the practice tests. If you want to try the paper-based version of the test, all you need is the ability to view or print PDF files.
Take the Test
Try one of the practice tests below or any of the practice tests in grades 3 through 11, including Braille, Large Print, Text-to-Speech, American Sign Language as well as Spanish language in Mathematics. Be sure to look at the right answer key — online or paper, depending on which version you try.
English Language Arts/Literacy
- English Language Arts/Literacy Practice Tests
- English Language Arts/Literacy Answer Keys: Be sure to look at the right one — for online or paper — depending which version of the practice test you try.
- Mathematics Practice Tests
- Mathematics Answer Keys: Be sure to look at the right one — for online or paper — depending which version of the practice test you try.
What’s different and better about these tests?
There’s no better way to see the difference than to look at side-by-side examples of “old” test items and PARCC test items:
Use of Sample and Practice Test Items
This website displays sample test items and practice test items, located on the PARCC Pearson portal. These resources are for use by educators, parents, authors, the public, textbook publishers, and others to help raise awareness of the PARCC assessments and to help prepare educators and students. No charge is imposed for the use of the items that are identified as samples. The widespread use and sharing of these materials is encouraged, provided that the source of the materials is acknowledged in any reproduction of the samples.
Items Released from PARCC Assessment
PARCC states are providing a groundbreaking instructional tool to spur student achievement. They have released test items from the PARCC assessment, an exceptional step, to give teachers a powerful tool to guide their classroom instruction. The released test questions represent roughly one full test per grade level in each subject area. In addition to the questions, the learning standards associated with each test item are indicated and scoring rubrics are included that show what is required to score at each performance level. Examples of scored student responses are also available for teachers and students to see actual work and the corresponding points earned on the student example. The release of the items gives parents insight into the kinds of questions students are seeing on their tests, so assessments aren’t a mystery. The test items were built with robust mathematics problems and authentic reading passages selected and reviewed extensively by dozens of educators from PARCC states.